If you’re in the mood for comfort food then this recipe is everything you need to get cosy.
Prep & cooking time: 50 mins
- 500g Macaroni
- 50g Butter
- 50g Plain Flour
- 500ml Milk
- 120g Cheddar, grated
- 1 x tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1x Mozzarella Ball
- Salt & Pepper
For the crumb
- 155g Smoked Bacon Lardons
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed
- 1 Leek
- 100g breadcrumbs
- Heat the oven to 180C Fan.
- Boil the macaroni in salty, boiling water.
- Meanwhile, make a start on your bechamel. Start by melting the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour. This should create a paste. Now gradually add in the milk, around 100ml at a time to avoid lumps. Once the sauce thickens, add the next 100ml milk and so on.
- Once the sauce has thickened, stir in 90g grated cheddar into your sauce. Stir, then add the Dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the macaroni is done (around 6-8 mins) stir into the sauce. Now it’s time to add half a ball of mozzarella. This will make the mac & cheese all gooey and make people’s eyes light up when you serve it.
- Pop it into an oven proof dish. Top with the remaining cheddar and mozzarella.
- Bake for around 20 mins or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, begin by frying the lardons in a dry non stick frying pan – this will make them get nice and crispy. With a smashed piece of garlic.
- Once your bacon is brown and crispy. Remove the garlic. Stir in the leeks and cook until soft. Now stir in your breadcrumbs. They’ll soak up the oil from the bacon. Fry for a further three minutes.
- Now it’s time for the best bit. Serving and eating! Make sure your guests see that gooey cheese pull and sprinkle with your salty, smokey bacon crumb.