Eye spy with my mince pies some bubbling goodies coming from the oven. These super simple mince pies are a must have for the festive season.
Prep & cooking time: 45 mins
- 225g Butter, diced
- 350g Plain Four
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 411g Mincemeat
- 1 x egg
- Make the pastry by rubbing the cold diced butter with the plain flour and caster sugar to form a dough. Get the dough into a ball and knead it for a moment.
- Preheat the oven to 180C Fan. Grease a cupcake tin with butter.
- Roll out your pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin. Using a large round ring, cut out your mince pie bases. Once you’ve cut them all. Re-roll your pastry and repeat with a smaller ring for your lids. If you have any leftover pastry, you can create a little design to layer on top (I made hearts)
- Lay your pastry bases into your greased tin. Fill with a generous tbsp mincemeat. Repeat the process. Then top with your lids.
- Crack an egg and whisk. Using a pastry brush and apply the egg to your mince pies. Sprinkle with some sugar. The egg and sugar will make them golden.
- Pop the pies into the oven for around 20 mins until golden.
- They may spill out a little, but that adds to the homemade-ness so don’t panic. Enjoy them with a touch of double cream and a cup of tea (or mulled wine).