Nothing says Christmas like the smell of Gingerbread baking in the oven.
Makes 40 biscuits
Prep & Cook time: 30 minutes
- 175g Brown Sugar
- 50g Golden Syrup
- 1 x tbsp (heaped) Orange Marmalade
- 100g Butter
- 350g Plain Flour
- 1 x tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 x tbsp ground ginger
- 1 x tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 x egg, beaten
- Heat the brown sugar, golden syrup, orange marmalade and butter in a saucepan until bubbling for a couple of minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the liquid is cooling. Combine the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Now add the cooled liquid and the beaten egg. Stir until combined.
- Knead the mixture in the bowl to form a dough. You won’t need to do this for very long. Wrap in cling-film and pop in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180C Fan. Prepare your baking trays with baking paper.
- Roll out the gingerbread dough to the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut out using cookie cutters. Re-roll and repeat the process until you’ve used up all of your pastry.
- Place the biscuits onto the trays. Leaving enough space in case the biscuits spread a little. Cook for 10-12 mins. Once out of the oven, leave them on the baking tray for 5 mins. Then lift them onto a wire rack to cool. Feel free to decorate once cooled.
- Enjoy with a cuppa!