Roast potatoes are an essential for the Christmas table. And whilst they’re traditionally cooked with some sort of animal fat, they don’t have to be. All you need is some veg oil and salt.
Prep & cook time: 1 and a half hours
- 1kg Maris Piper Potatoes
- 2-3 x Tbsp Veg Oil
- 2 x tsp flour
- Sea Salt
- Pop a roasting tin in the oven at 200C Fan
- Peel 1kg potatoes and cut into even pieces (normally into 4)
- Put the potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with cold water to just cover them.
- Bring the water to the boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn it down to a simmer for around two minutes.
- Meanwhile put the oil into the roasting tin to heat in the oven. So that it gets really, really hot.
- Drain the potatoes into a colander. Shake a few times to roughen up the edges of the potatoes.
- Dust the flour over the top and shake a little more.
- Pour the potatoes into the hot oil. Please be careful when you do this. The oil will be sizzling.
- Spread the potatoes evenly and turn in the oil.
- Put back in the oven and turn every 15 minutes.
- Repeat this for around an hour, until they’re golden and crispy.
- Serve with a pinch of salt over the top.