Although the sun may be shining and you’re craving a BBQ (I know I am). You can still get your fix (kind of) with this British classic. Using store cupboard ingredients this dinner is perfect for a family of 4.
- 225g Plain flour
- 3 eggs,
- 200ml Milk of your choice
- 100ml Beer/Lager (can substitute for milk)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 100g mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 8 sausages
- To make the batter, sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl. Making a well in the centre, stir in the eggs and the milk. Whisk until the mixture is lump free. Cover and set aside for an hour.
- Preheat the oven at 190 Fan
- Put a roasting tray in the oven. Once the dish is hot, add the oil for a further 5 mins. Then add the sausages, they should sizzle when you pop them in. Cook the sausages so they’ve got a nice colour on the outside, turning every 5 minutes or so. This should take around 15-20 minutes (they don’t need to be cooked all the way through)
- Meanwhile fry your diced onion and sliced mushrooms in a pan with a little oil. Set aside once cooked.
- Once the sausages have browned, put the onions and mushrooms on top. Then pour over the batter.
- Pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden. Avoid opening the oven door if possible – nobody want’s a flat toad in the hole!
- And it’s ready to serve with a side of veg and gravy. Enjoy!