Ok, this isn’t the quickest dish you’ll ever make, BUT it’s perfect for a weekend winter warmer. When the weather is bleak and it’s chilly outside, whack this in the oven to instantly brighten your day.
Prep & cook time: 3 & 1/2 hours
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 500g Beef Mince
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 250ml red wine (optional)
- 800g chopped tomatoes
- 500ml Beef stock
- Salt & pepper
- Lasagne Sheets
For the béchamel:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml milk
For the cheese crust:
- 150g Mozzarella
- 30g Cheddar
- 20g Parmesan
- Chop your carrot, celery, onions and garlic. Put into a large saucepan over a medium-high heat with 1tbsp of olive oil for five minutes.
- Now the veg has softened, add in the mince beef and cook until brown.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce and the wine if you wish. Let the wine boil down before adding your chopped tomatoes. Fill each tomato tin to around a quarter full with water to get optimum flavour. Pour in your beef stock and let the meat cook down for two hours over a low-medium heat.
- Now it’s time to make your béchamel. To a saucepan, add in the butter and flour to form a roux. Whisk until it becomes a smooth paste. Gradually add your milk, 100ml at a time, until the sauce thickens.
- It’s time to layer your lasagne! Start with the mince, then add a layer of lasagne sheets, over the lasagne sheets add the béchamel and repeat.
- Pop into a pre-heated oven at 190 fan for 20 minutes.
- Add the cheese – don’t be afraid to pile it on! Then pop it back into the oven for a further a 20 mins so that cheese gets nice and crispy.
- Now it’s time to dig in. Enjoy!