It’s National Pizza Day today! Which means there’s only one way to celebrate…
Prep & cook time: 1 Hour 30 mins
For the dough:
- 400 g strong wholemeal bread flour (can be white, I just had wholemeal in the cupboard & slightly better for nutrition purposes, but I’m not judging!)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 7g dried yeast
- 1/2 caster sugar
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 125 g mozzarella cheese
- Any others of your choice!
- In a jug, add 325ml of warm water and pour in the yeast and sugar. Stir and leave for a few minutes.
- Pour the flour onto a clean work surface and make a deep well in the centre. Pour in your mixture into the well. Using a fork slowly combine the flour and the water mixture. You may lose some of the liquid if you stir to quickly or break down the well, so be super gentle. Keep going until it’s too hard to mix with a fork.
- Knead into a dough for 10 mins. It will start off fairly sticky, but it won’t be after 10 mins I promise! You should end up with a smooth dough.
- Put into a greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave for 45 mins to prove. It should double in size!
- Meanwhile, crush the garlic using the back of a knife. In a saucepan add the olive oil, garlic, dried herbs, chopped tomatoes (fill the tin half way with water and add that in too) and balsamic vinegar. Cook the sauce down for at least 30 mins. Stirring occasionally to crush the tomatoes.
- When the dough is ready, divide it into four equal parts. You can cook all four now, save for later in the fridge or freeze some. Wrap each ball in clingfilm and leave for 15 mins. If you’re going to save them for later that day or freeze, pop the individually wrapped pieces of dough away now.
- Whenever you’re ready to eat them heat the grill to its highest setting.
- Add some flour to a clean work surface and take one of your dough balls. Roll it out to about 1/2 cm in thickness.
- Pop the dough into a frying pan and add the sauce, cheese and toppings of your choice. Put the frying pan onto the hob at the highest heat. Cook for 3-4 mins , or until the bottom is crispy.
- Transfer your pan under the grill and cook for a further 3-4 mins, until the cheese has melted. Make sure your frying pan is ok to go in the oven!
- Dig in!