No Christmas is complete without a sausage roll or a pig in blanket in my humble opinion. I’ve got news for you because I’ve got a combo of the two for day 8 of noshmas!
Cook and prep time: 30 mins
- 400g sausage meat
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 320g shortcrust or puff ready rolled pastry
- 1 tsp marmite
- 5 rashers of smoked back bacon
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment. Into a mixing bowl add your sausage meat, chopped chives, Worcestershire sauce and a good grinding of black pepper. Knead to combine.
- Roll out the pastry sheet, keeping it on the paper that it came in and with the longest side facing you, so that the pastry looks horizontal. Spread the marmite evenly across the pastry. Lay the bacon rashers on top. Leaving a one inch gap from the side closest to you, add the sausage meat to create one long even sausage. Use the paper from the pastry to help roll the pastry on top of the sausage towards you. Secure the pastry and press together with a fork. Generously egg wash. Sprinkle with nigella seeds. Cut into 14 equal pieces. Pop on the baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 mins or until golden.
- Serve up 5-10 mins later while the rolls are still warm out of the oven. Enjoy!