It’s that time of the month again, when your back aches, you’ve got cramps, you can’t think of anything worse than being 2 feet away from your sofa and you’ve got a hot water bottle shoved down your joggers. Sound familiar?! Well I have the perfect, hearty dish which takes minimal effort. Packed with protein and food for the soul.
Stage of cycle: menstruation
Cook and prep time: 30 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 leeks, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 3 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- sweetcorn kernels from 1 corn-on-the-cob or a small tin
- 500g jersey royal potatoes, chopped
- Veg stock cube, with 300ml water
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 400ml milk
- 450g smoked haddock/cod
- 100ml single cream
- chopped fresh parsley
- 3 rashers of smokey bacon (optional)
- Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan. Add the onion, leeks and celery. Sweat down until soft for 3-5 mins. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute before adding the sweetcorn and jersey royals and pour over the stock and sprinkle in the thyme. Simmer for 10 mins until the potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile grill the bacon until crispy and set aside. Pour in the milk and bring to a simmer (this shouldn’t take long) add in the fish and poach for 2 mins. Pour in the single cream and add the chopped parsley before stirring, this will break up the fish.
- Serve in bowls and top with the bacon rasher bits and some fresh parsley. Enjoy!