What’s Christmas without a bougie brunch eh?! For day 11 we have smoked salmon and potato cakes. #12daysofnoshmas but can also be made all year round too!
Prep and cook time: 30 mins
- 250g mashed potato (leftovers are best)
- 75g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 125ml milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- 1 tsp veg oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 120g smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Cress, dill and chives for decoration
1. If you don’t have leftover mashed potato, then peel and boil potatoes for 20 mins or until soft. Mash them with a little milk and butter and leave to cool.
2. Add the mash into a bowl and sieve in the flour and baking powder. In a jug add the eggs and milk, whisk until combined, then slowly pour into the potato mix using a whisk until a smooth batter is created. Snip in your chives and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Heat the pan with oil and add half a ladle of the mixture at a time, cook for 1-2 mins on each side or until golden brown. Continue until all the batter has been used up. Stack on a plate and add a knob of butter to melt over the potato cakes.
4. While the potato cakes are cooking, make the horseradish cream by combining the sour cream, horseradish and lemon juice.
5. Serve by stacking the potato cakes, adding the smoked salmon and topping with the horseradish cream. If you want to be extra fancy, sprinkle more chives, cress and dill over the top for the bougiest Christmas brunch!