On the 12th day of Noshmas my true love sent to me, mulled wine meringues and a list full of yummy recipes 🎵
Cook and prep time: 1hr 45 mins
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 115g caster sugar
- 115g icing sugar
- 500ml mulled wine
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 pears, sliced
- 2 apples, sliced
- 1 orange, peel
- 100g frozen winter berries
- 10 maschimo cherries
- 150ml double cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees fan. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks into a metal bowl. Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs until they have formed stiff peaks.
- Add in the caster sugar one Tbsp at a time and beat for 3-4 seconds before adding the next lot. It should now be lovely and glossy. Sift 1/4 of the icing sugar into the egg whites and fold in using a spatula.
- Take a spoonful of mixture and pop onto the tray. Put into the oven for 1 hour 30 mins.
- In the meantime, pour the mulled wine into a pan with the caster sugar. Over a high heat reduce the mix by half. Add in the apples, pears, orange peel and winter berries and cook for a further 3-5 mins. Avoid letting the fruit get too soft. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Once the meringues are done, leave to cool completely. Serve with whipped double cream, top with the fruit and a few cherries. Enjoy!