The perfect side to accompany any Asian dish or just as a tasty snack, which is great for the follicular phase as hormones start to pick up and you’re feeling more energised.
Prep & cook time: 15 mins
Stage of cycle: Follicular Phase
For the tempura:
- 80g cornflour
- 30g plain flour
- 80ml sparkling water, chilled
- small handful crushed ice
- 1 Broccoli head, cut into florets
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the dipping sauce:
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 5 tbsp Malt Vinegar
- 5 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Red Chilli, finely chopped
- 3 Coriander Sprigs, roughly chopped
- Combine the dipping sauce ingredients and set aside
- Sieve the cornflour and plain flour into a large mixing bowl, with a pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre and slowly pour in the sparkling water, hand whisking as you go. Finally add in a small amount of crushed ice and let that melt into the mix and set aside.
- Blanch the broccoli for 2-3 minutes. Drain and leave to cool for 5-10 mins.
- Pour the vegetable oil into the pan, deep enough to fill 1/3 of it. Heat the oil over a high heat, while always keeping an eye on it at all times. The best way to check if your oil is hot enough is to drop a small piece of bread in, if it comes out golden brown in 30 seconds then you’re good to go!
- In batches, place a floret of broccoli into the tempura batter, gently lower into the hot oil. Fry for around two minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil. Repeat the process until all the broccoli has been fried.
- Serve on a large sharing plate with the dipping sauce on the side. Let everyone dive in and enjoy!